Sunday, May 20, 2007

Look What's Peekin' ....

What a nice surprise this morning! I spent yesterday evening adding a bunch of stuff to the garden and weeding, but the only seeds that were blooming were the leaf lettuce...then this morning, VOILA! - there are 3 little pole bean sprouts poking their little heads out of the ground! This should be an exciting week for sure. Here are his siblings:


Interestingly, something else is helping his or herself to my seeds. I found some of my pretty blue cucumber seeds out on top of their hills this morning, and I found a few sunflower seeds out of there hill as well. I was so worried about the rabbits, but it looks like I might have some birds conspiring against me. I see a scarecrow in our future...

The garden shed has a new look now too! Mom got me this awesome little "Garden Shed" sign and I added a window box with flowers. I want to plant some daylilies or peonies around the base of the shed and by the propane tank to mask some of the natural beauty of this old shed and tank :) Here's a closer look at the window box:

So, working in the garden has become great therapy. I look forward to coming home from work every night, going out and plucking some weeds, watering, and strolling through the rows to see what has sprung to life over the last 24 hours. There's something very soothing about being out there with the plants! I found some beautiful Gerber Daisies the other day and planted them at the entrance to my garden.

I was also reading that planting marigolds near the tomatoes and basil would help keep bugs away...so of course I had to try it. I like seeing the mixture of flowers in with the vegetables!

Yesterday I added a few more things to the garden: Acorn squash, Watermelon, a blueberry bush, some bush beans, spaghetti squash, and broccoli. Jim just keeps shaking his head :) Here are just a few more pictures because I can't resist....







No comments: