Sunday, May 13, 2007

Garden Update - 5/13/07










Well, as usual, life has been a little crazy. Last Sunday I got all of the plants that I bought from Altrums planted (2 heirloom tomatoes, 1 roma tomato, 2 lavender eggplants, 2 banana pepper plants, rosemary, oregano, 2 types of basil, and 2 little leaf lettuce plants). Monday I got all the straw put down in between the rows (it was WAY too windy on Sunday). Then on Friday all of my seeds that I had ordered from Henry Fields came in, so that is what I spent this morning doing. I planted cucumbers, pole beans, 2 different types of leaf lettuce, catnip, oregano, radishes, and sunflowers. Now all I'm waiting for are the tomato plans I ordered from Henry Field's before I knew you could just go to the local gardening store or Lowes to buy them....duh! I also think I over bought (by a landslide) on the tomatoes. When I ordered the ones out of the catalog, each "offer" was 6 plants. I wanted to try a few different varieties in my first garden, so I got some Celebrity tomatoes, some early girls, and some cherry tomatoes....yes, 6 X 3 = 18 tomato plants!!!! PLUS the 3 that I bought from Altrums (the heirlooms). Guess I'll be giving lots away and making some salsa or sauce :)








I also bought a sprinkler for the garden because it seemed like my watering wand was too rough for the plants and kind of pushed them around. So now I water half the garden in the morning before work, and half when I come home. I learned the hard way that right now I can't go a day without watering because I came home and everything was wilted. All recovered well except my oregano plant that is gone forever... I planted some more from seed though.








I also learned that peppers (green peppers) need to be started about 6 weeks before you plant them like the tomato plants. I had ordered some seeds and then read that on the packet. So NEXT year, I'm going to start my own tomato and peppers from seed.








So, here are a few pics from last Sunday. I need to go take some more so you can see what it looks like with hay on it. Plus, my mom got me this great "Garden Shed" sign for the outside of the shed and I also bought a window basket for flowers to hang below the window. More to come...








No comments: